Financial Aid & Scholarships

The FHTC financial aid program is available to help students who need financial assistance to continue their education. While the financing of education is primarily the responsibility of the students and their families, financial aid programs take into account the wide variety of financial circumstances that can affect a student's ability to pay for education. The financial aid program consists of Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Work Study, Direct Loans, a large number of locally funded scholarships and Foundation scholarships.

The Financial Aid Office welcomes inquiries throughout the school year. In many cases, students who did not apply for financial aid prior to matriculation may qualify during the academic year to receive financial aid through grants, work-study or scholarships.

Students receiving financial aid must have applied and be admitted to the college, must be degree-seeking, must be enrolled in classes that will count toward the degree or certificate, and must be in good standing (eligible to re-enroll). In addition, students must have a GED, High School Diploma, or been home-schooled. Previous college transcripts are required. All transcripts must be submitted to Student Services. Students may not receive aid if they fail to make Satisfactory Academic Progress in previous semesters.

Complete the federal aid application at beginning October 1st for the next school year.

Scholarship Application Deadline is March 1st.

Federal Financial Aid Application

The federal aid application can be completed at Apply as soon after October 1st as possible for the next school year.

The Federal Financial Aid Process

Using a formula established by Congress, the federal government will determine how much you, or you and your spouse or parents are expected to provide toward the cost of your education. The amount is called your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is based on the income and asset information you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The same formula is used at every college so your EFC will be the same no matter which college you attend.

The cost of attendance used for determining your eligibility for financial aid is an estimate. It will include: a typical amount for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses and transportation for a student in your program.

When awarding financial aid, the EFC is subtracted from the cost of education. The remainder is the amount of need-based financial aid you may receive.


The central processor selects certain federal aid applicants for a process called verification. If selected for verification, the financial aid office will request additional information to verify the income and household information listed on the federal aid application. Applicants will be notified by email of documents required after submitting the federal aid application.

Renewal of Financial Aid

Financial aid awards are not automatically renewed. Students must complete a new FAFSA for each award year. Apply as soon after October 1st as possible for the next school year at At FHTC, the summer semester begins a new award year.

Award Letters

Financial aid award letters are emailed to the student email address after enrollment and completion of financial aid requirements. Estimates are available for students who have not completed the enrollment process.

Enrollment Requirements

Awards are based on full-time enrollment, which is a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. Enrollment is verified each semester prior to disbursement of all funds. For students enrolled less than full-time, Pell Grant awards will be prorated and other awards may have to be adjusted. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours or more) to receive student loans. Most institutional scholarships are based on full-time (12 hours or more) enrollment.

Understanding Your Award Letter

A financial aid award letter identifies the aid available to each student based on program eligibility requirements, including grants, loans, and scholarships. Private or outside scholarships are estimated and contingent upon actual receipt of funds from the appropriate agencies. Award letters must be signed and returned to the financial aid office to complete the award process. All students with eligibility are offered loans. Loans can be declined or amounts changed on the award letter.

Awards Are Subject To Change

A financial aid award may be reduced or canceled. The most common reasons for an award adjustment include changes in enrollment and over-awards due to the receipt of aid from other sources. An award may also be adjusted due to changes or inaccuracies in the information on which the award was based.

Disbursing Financial Aid

Funds are generally credited to a student’s account on the 30th day from the start of the semester, provided all required documents have been submitted and processed. Tuition and all other allowable charges will be deducted from financial aid. Following the initial disbursement, funds are disbursed weekly. Students may authorize direct disbursement to their checking or savings account, or receive a paper check. Students must ensure their address is correct to avoid delays in receiving disbursements.

Direct Student Loans

To receive Federal Direct Student Loans, students will need to complete and return the Award Letter. Students may request a lower amount than is indicated on the Award Letter but not a greater amount.

If accepting a loan for the first time, a Entrance Loan Counseling and Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be completed. These can be completed at Parents of dependent students may complete a PLUS MPN (Complete PLUS Request Process) at the site indicated above if they wish to apply and receive a Parent PLUS loan.

At the time of disbursement, a student must be enrolled and attending at least half-time (6 credit hours) to receive a student or PLUS loan. If enrollment has dropped to less than half-time before the disbursement of loan proceeds, the funds will be returned to the government and any future disbursements will be canceled. The student will still be responsible for all college charges that have not been paid as calculated by the business office.

Students must complete Exit Loan Counseling when enrollment falls below 6 hours, a student graduates or withdraws. Exit Loan Counseling can be completed at


I have the right to:

  • written information on my loan obligations and information on my rights and responsibilities as a borrower;
  • a copy of my MPN either before or at the time my loan is disbursed;
  • grace period and an explanation of what this means;
  • notification, if the Department transfers your loan to another servicer without your consent;
  • a disclosure statement, received before I begin to repay my loan, that includes information about interest rates, fees, the balance I owe, and a loan repayment schedule;
  • deferment or forbearance of repayment for certain defined periods, if I qualify and if I request it;
  • prepay my loan in whole or in part anytime without an early-repayment penalty; and
  • documentation when my loan is paid in full.

I am responsible for:

  • completing exit counseling before I leave school or drop below half-time enrollment;
  • repaying my loan according to my repayment schedule even if: I do not complete my academic program; I am dissatisfied with the education I received; or I am unable to find employment after I graduate;
  • notifying my lender or loan servicer if I: move or change my address, change my telephone number, change my name, change my Social Security number, or change employers or my employer’s address or telephone number changes;
  • making monthly payments on my loan after my grace period ends, unless I have a deferment or forbearance; and
  • notifying my lender or loan servicer of anything that might alter my eligibility for an existing deferment or forbearance.

Institutional and Endowed Scholarships

New and returning students can apply for institutional scholarships on our website at by March 1st for the upcoming year. Applicants will be considered for all institutional and endowed scholarships based on GPA, program and other criteria listed on the application. New students must submit a current high school or college transcript to Student Services for GPA determination. You must apply each year, scholarships are not automatically renewed.

Purchasing Books, Uniforms, Tools and Supplies with Financial Aid

Students with completed financial aid totaling more than tuition and fees will be able to use their excess financial aid to purchase books through To purchase books with future financial aid, a book voucher will be sent to the student via student email. Book vouchers will not be issued until all financial aid requirements are completed. To purchase uniforms, tools and supplies with future financial aid, the business office will issue vouchers as needed.

Student Employment

Work-study awards may be made to students with remaining unmet need after all scholarships and grants have been considered. Late outside scholarships and monetary awards will reduce loan eligibility before affecting work-study. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office if they are interested in applying for a work-study position. Applications are available through Human Resources. Work-study earnings are paid to the student on the 1st and 15th of each month.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits are certified by Lisa Kirmer,, 620-341-1325

Additional Financial Resources

Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Office of any additional financial resources (loans, scholarships, grants, waivers, vocational rehabilitation, etc.) received which are not listed on the Award Letter. These resources may cause adjustments and/or a reduction of the financial aid originally offered.

The Jones Foundation assists residents of Coffey, Osage and Lyon counties with educational costs. Visit for more information and application.

Kansas Works has educational assistance available for qualified applicants. Visit for more information.

The Kansas Career Technical Workforce Grant is available for certain technical programs at FHTC. Visit for more information and application. Application deadline is May 1st.

Additional scholarship information will be emailed to current students as opportunities are received by the financial aid office.

High School Seniors should check with high school counselors for additional local scholarship opportunities.

Keep Records

You should keep your account statements, receipts, financial records, award letters and enclosures until you graduate. These records constitute proof of payment and aid received. Student loan promissory notes and disclosure statements should be kept in a safe place until all loans are paid in full.

Your Address and Contact Information

It is critical that you have your correct permanent and local address on file with the FHTC Student Services Office. It is very important that FHTC has an accurate phone number as well. An incorrect address or phone number may cause delays and missed deadlines.


Financial aid recipients who withdraw or cease attending all of their classes prior to 60% of the term being completed are subject to the federal rules for the Return of Title IV Funds for any federal aid not earned. The percentage of unearned aid is equal to the total number of calendar days remaining in the term divided by the total number of calendar days in the term. The repayment amount is considered unearned aid that a student was not eligible to receive due to not completing the term, necessitating the repayment of funds. The college may have an obligation to repay funds that were paid directly to the student. If the college returns funds that were applied to the student’s account, a balance due to the college by the student will result. Financial aid may not cover all unpaid institutional charges due to the college upon withdrawal. Failure to repay will prevent future enrollment at the college and release of transcripts.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward a degree or certificate to receive financial aid. To meet the minimum standards of the FHTC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, students must meet all three of the following criteria:

  • 1. GPA – Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
  • 2. PACE – Students must successfully complete 66.66% of all hours attempted. This includes courses attempted even if financial aid was not received.
  • 3. Maximum Time Frame – Students must be able to complete their program of study within 150 percent of the credit hours required for their degree. In most cases an Associate Degree must be completed within 96 credit hours and a certificate must be completed within 48 credit hours.

Transcripts from all schools where a student received federal financial aid must be submitted to the financial aid office for evaluation.

The Financial Aid Office will evaluate satisfactory academic progress at the end of each semester.

If a student fails to meet the requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for one semester. If the student fails to come into compliance at the end of that semester; the student is then placed on Financial Aid Ineligibility for the following semester.

Students failing to meet SAP may complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office explaining mitigating circumstances that impacted their academic performance with supporting documentation as well as changes that will permit the student to be successful in future semesters.


Warning — Students will be placed on warning if:

  • The student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0.
  • The student’s completion rate is below the accepted level of 66.66% per semester and/or cumulatively (financial aid recipients only).
  • The student was previously suspended from receiving financial aid and has been readmitted to the College.


Ineligibility — Students will be placed on ineligibility if:

  • The student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 for the two most recent terms.
  • The student’s semester and/or cumulative completion rate falls below the accepted level of 66.66% following a probationary term (financial aid recipients only).
  • The student’s term grade point average falls below .8 for the most recent term of enrollment. Students do not need to have a cumulative grade point average less than 2.0 for this to be enforced.
  • The student was readmitted on probation and the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 for the most recent term.
  • The student exceeds 150% of the number of credits required in a program of study. (1 year program = 1 1/2 years; 2 year program = 3 years)


Students placed on financial aid ineligibility for the first time will be ineligible for one academic term. Students on ineligibility for the second or subsequent time will be ineligible for one academic year. After being placed on financial aid ineligibility for a second or subsequent time the student will need to complete the equivalent of two full-time semesters or 24 credits hours at their own expense in order to regain eligibility.


Students who wish to appeal ineligibility must provide a written appeal to the Appeals Committee within ten business days of the date of the notice of ineligibility. The written appeal should be supported by documentation including explanation of the situation(s) that may warrant an appeal (i.e. family member’s death, student’s illness or injury or other special circumstance). The student must explain why they failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed in the student’s situation that would allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress during the next enrollment period. The Appeals Committee consists of the Financial Aid Officers and the Vice President of Student Services. Within ten business days of receiving the appeal, the committee will make a decision regarding the appeal and notify the student in writing of the decision. The committee’s decision shall be final. An approved appeal places a student on financial aid probation for the next period of enrollment.


If a student’s appeal is granted the student will be placed on financial aid probation for the next period of enrollment. The student must maintain satisfactory academic progress during the period of enrollment by successfully completing at least 66.66% of the courses in which the student is enrolled and maintaining a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. The student may be required to adhere to an academic plan throughout the period of enrollment and during the probationary period. The academic plan will be developed by the Vice President of Student Services in conjunction with the student. If the student is able to maintain satisfactory academic progress during the probationary period the student will be in good standing for financial aid. If the student is not able to maintain satisfactory academic progress during the probationary period the student will become ineligible for financial aid.

Flint Hills Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of sex including pregnant and parenting students, sexual orientation, handicap, race, color, age, religion, marital status, or national or ethnic origin in educational programs, admissions policies, employment policies, financial aid or other College-administered programs. For questions or concerns regarding non-discrimination contact the Director of Human Resources at 620.343.4600.

Flint Hills Technical College 3301 West 18th Avenue Emporia, KS 66801 620.343.4600
© 2019 - 2020 Flint Hills Technical College

Apply Now